Brain Power is actively seeking an Android Engineer with deep app-coding experience in professional settings. Your daily work will include Android app engineering, translating customer requirements, and solving technical challenges related to delivering a novel wearable educational device and associated software in the home and school markets. Our apps (bundled with wearable hardware) are recently released and thus in real-world customer use, and are used in clinical studies. We have apps running on Google Glass and on traditional mobile devices. You will interface with other engineers, such as a Unity, Web, and UX engineer. You will also interface with a project manager and a product manager.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience with the full cycle of app dev, devOps, release, and support. The ideal candidate will have professional Android development skills, strong passion, work ethic, and desire to push the boundaries of mobile device development.
You will be doing work that really matters: your code will have a real impact on children and adults on the autism spectrum – to empower them to climb toward self-sufficiency. You will have the opportunity to attend relevant training sessions and events to bolster your skills. You will also have a host of other perks, as outlined at the top of this page.
- Engineer new features in Android apps according to customer requirements
- Fix bugs and optimize existing features
- Interface your code with our APIs, web app, and overall platform architecture
- Help improve our continuous build and release process. Focus on scale and efficiency
- Ensure software development is modular, scalable, well tested, stable, and optimized
- Participate and give feedback in design and code reviews with other developers
- Document your work. Represent your code graphically for strategy meetings.
- Be prepared to respond immediately to emergencies
- 3+ years of professional experience in Android mobile app development
- Expertise in Android system services and APIs
- Expertise using RESTful APIs to integrate mobile applications to server side systems
- Strong grasp of Git or other version control tools
- Desire to push the boundaries of mobile device development
- Exceptional organizational, multi-tasking, and project completion skills
- Expertise in Scrum/Agile/KanBan
- Strong attention to detail and correctness in code and communication.
- Startup mentality
- Personal connection to and/or interest in autism
- Launched Android apps in Play Store or App Store
- Modern Android development practices in a small team, as an excellent team player
- Augmented reality development
- Expert development skills include client-side technologies, design, architecture and writing of clean, reusable, extensible, standards-compliant code
- Advanced knowledge of unit, functional, and UI testing
- Experience coding for Google Glass
- Clear and effective verbal, visual, and written English communication skills
- UI/UX experience with apps targeted towards children or schools