Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring an Associate Director, Product Infrastructure Engineering to join our Engineering team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About this role:
Oscar engineers work on some of the most challenging problems in tech — helping users navigate the complex health industry through beautiful user applications, elegant distributed system design, making sense of noisy data, statistical learning, and language theory. We invest in our people, our tools, and our processes so we can focus on solving big problems while learning from one another.
Product Infrastructure exists to support teams at Oscar that work on the product. “Product” at Oscar typically means “web”, so a large portion of the work that the Product Infrastructure team does relates to the Web: JS build tools, core libraries, frameworks, and long-term architectural vision. Product Infrastructure works “bottom up”—driven by engineers and technical leaders—on projects that we think will make an impact, make engineers more productive, and support company goals and objectives.
Specific management responsibilities include:
- Coaching and mentorship. Ensure everyone on your team is getting clear, constructive, and frequent feedback on their work and that they have the support they need to grow as technical contributors.
- Career development. Understand the aspirations of your teammates and help them to take on more responsibility for the work they are most passionate about.
- Team execution. You are ultimately responsible for the overall performance of your team, which can be minimally defined as “ensuring the right objectives for the team are established, and that they are met at the right time”. But we’d really like you to help your team knock it out of the park.
You won’t be on your own. Engineering management is a critical and complex role that we take very seriously at Oscar and we support each other to do it well.
- You have 7+ years of software engineering experience, including prior management experience.
- Strong backend engineering experience, preferably with Python
- You make the people and teams around you better through mentorship, collaboration, and guiding developers towards best practices.
- You believe that team performance is even more important than individual performance, and have a track record of leading and managing high-functioning teams.
- You understand the “inclusion” part of Diversity & Inclusion and can help us improve and maintain a great culture where the best ideas prevail.