Being the best, the CEO, the President, or “Number One” is the ultimate goal of most people at some point in their careers. What happens after you get there? You’ve reached success and now have the “power”… so what’s next? Hopefully, you’ve thought ahead and know what the plan is to keep you there, or what to do in order to continue to improve! If not, you may find yourself knocked down a notch or out of the game completely. We could look at a number of great Businesspeople, Athletes, Entrepreneurs, and Philanthropists… but in the spirit of the U.S. Open, let’s take a look at the Williams sisters and how they’ve managed to stay on top for well over a decade.
Venus and Serena turned pro in 1994 and 1995, respectively. In 20 years, they’ve won a combined 134 titles (including doubles and 4 Olympic Golds)! In a physically and mentally demanding game, they’ve managed to reach the top at a young age and maintain relevance and dominance throughout. How? It’s more than talent and the athletic gene. Here are some tips to continued success after reaching the top, whether you’re on the court or in the office.
- Stay Motivated! Why are you doing this in the first place? What is your driving force on a daily basis? It could be money, love of the business game, beating a competitor, or challenging yourself. Whatever it is, the “Why” needs to be a driving force. Motivation is most commonly needed on the bad days, when things aren’t going your way. Having those feelings and forces of your “Why” can help you overcome the hard days, and keep you moving forward.
- Positive Environment! Who and what you surround yourself with have an incredible impact on your well-being. This is something completely in your control. YOU decide who you spend your time with, where you spend it, and how you spend it.
- Knowledge is Power! Study your game, study your opponent. You won’t meet a business leader who doesn’t know everything about their competitor’s business and product. Being successful is an ongoing process and education. You will never know everything, and understanding that will keep your hunger for information and improvement alive.
- Take Risks! You probably didn’t get where you are by playing it safe, and you certainly can’t stay there by playing defense. Continue to take risks and trek the road less followed. Risk will always have a downside, but the reward makes it worth it. Mistakes are expected, and sometimes encouraged. In sports, it’s where and how you can make the most improvements, OR where you have the success. But you’ll never know unless you try.
- Physical Care! If you’re not taking care of yourself physically, your mental capacity suffers. Diet and exercise do more than keep the pounds off – they burn away stress, support physical and mental energy, and give you self-confidence. I don’t think anyone can accuse the Williams Sisters of “letting themselves go” after 20 years!
- Have Other Interests! If your life completely revolves around your job, you’re missing out on life! Venus and Serena were both very interested in fashion early on and have continued to design and support the industry. Venus has played an essential part in the gender equality on behalf of women’s tennis. I can guarantee that we’ll continue to hear about Venus and Serena long after their tennis days are done. That is because they are always working to be the best version of themselves!