Alert Innovation is a 2-year-old startup on a mission to re-invent retailing through robotics. Having partnered with world’s largest retailer to develop our revolutionary Alphabot® technology, we have an enormous market opportunity in front of us and are now beginning to scale the company by hiring exceptional people who love their work, want it to be meaningful, strive for excellence, and thrive in a highly collaborative team-oriented culture.
As the Senior Director of Software Engineering, you will be responsible for building and supporting a highly capable software team. This team is growing quickly, and we need a process and organization champion to make sure we are prepared to meet both present and future needs. This includes responsibility for the definition of processes that define how we solidify requirements, plan our development, and finally execute and test our software.
The candidate must have extensive experience with tools to maintain version control, manage branches, and automate builds and test. Responsibilities include resource development and planning, making sure that the team has all the necessary bandwidth and competency to be successful.
What Will You Love?
- Being a part of an organization that is innovative in both its products and the design of the organization.
- Leading a culture that is built on the fundamental importance of individual contribution and team synergy.
- Being a partner in the realization of our vision of a high-performance culture in an adaptable organization.
What Will You Do?
- Constantly evaluate the needs of the business against the capabilities of the team, and make sure that we grow and train as required.
- Drive an environment of constant improvement, building a process infrastructure of tools and clear guidelines for software development.
- Working with product team leaders, measure performance (metrics) related to quality, efficiency, on time delivery; use this data to prioritize efforts.
- Collaborate with architects to define design approaches that are aligned with the product vision.
What are We looking for?
- We need someone who has experience mentoring, developing consensus and accountability, defining work processes, and developing / driving schedules as opposed to a chief problem-solver.
- Very strong software background is required. Although this is not a programming role, tactical involvement in critical software decisions is required. Must have experience with modern C++ (14), Java and Java EE architectures (JDBC, JMS, JTA, JPA), and Databases (preferably MySQL and MariaDB).
- Experience developing, mentoring, and building close-knit, high performance teams.
- Demonstrated servant leader, knows how to bring the best out of individual team members.Experience with project management and schedule ownership, a proven ability to deliver cross-functional results.
- Familiarity with Agile and Waterfall methodologies and their pros/cons, personal experience with effective development processes.
- Detail oriented; understand the benefits of documenting before designing.
- Works well in a collaborative team environment while being able to constructively influence team decisions.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, able to communicate across all levels of the organization.
- Must be willing and able to travel within the USA and occasionally internationally (~5% travel may be required once we’re in production)
- 10+ years of relevant experience overseeing a growing software team.Automation experience is greatly valued.