Soft Robotics Inc. is a venture-backed startup in Cambridge, MA that integrates patented soft actuator technologies, a proprietary vision system, and artificial intelligence stack into robotic gripping, and autonomous manipulation solutions that can handle items of varying size, shape and weight with high-speed, precision, and a human-like touch. By leveraging the science of soft robotics, it is now possible to automate facilities that have traditionally depended upon manual labor for bin picking, order fulfillment, and other complex pick and place tasks.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the robotics and industrial automation fields and will be experienced designing complex systems that incorporate embedded electronics, mechanisms, and pneumatics.
At a minimum he/she will have significant experience with product design, development, and transfer to manufacturing.
The candidate chosen will be fluent in Solidworks for 3D modeling, simulation, and drawing creation and may also have experience using MATLAB or Python for mathematical analysis.
The ability to work in a machine shop/lab is an important quality for the person who lands this role as is familiarity with various 3D printing, laser cutting, and other rapid prototyping technologies.
The chosen candidate will fancy themselves a systems engineer, or even better a robotics engineer, with the strongest discipline being Mechanical Engineering. They will be a high-powered individual contributor that thrives when working as part of a tightly integrated, multidisciplinary team.
- Design mechanical systems and subsystems. Perform 3D modeling, simulation, and analysis;
- Design for safety, manufacturability, reliability and test in accordance with domestic and international standards;
- System test and debug;
- Design verification and validation;
- Support manufacturing and test;
- Participate in risk management and control: Perform Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) and Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA);
- Participate in design reviews and document development activities per established product development processes;
- Other duties as required.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering required with preference given to holders of advanced degree(s)
- 3+ years of experience with a demonstrated track record of exceptional individual performance in a fast-paced product development organization
- Experience with pneumatic systems, robotics and automation, or other complex electromechanical systems is strongly desired
- Knowledge of regulatory and compliance requirements for industrial automation products desired
- Proficient in the creation and maintenance of quality documentation
- Has strong interpersonal skills and thrives in a highly-integrated team environment but can also work independently without supervision
- Is generally methodical, detail oriented, and well organized
- Excellent time management skills and comfort when working in a fast paced environment on multiple, simultaneous projects